Length: 16km / 10 miles
Route type: Loop
Difficulty: Medium – Family-friendly with 4 road crossings
The Heart of Falkirk Trail takes in some of our best attractions and tourist destinations close to the Kelpies. It starts at The Helix and travels by cycleway, towpath and woodland trail past The Kelpies, Rosebank Distillery, The Falkirk Wheel and Callendar Park.
- Arrive to the Helix Park. Admire The Kelpies, giant 30m horses head sculptures and explore the cycle paths and play areas within the park. Experience a Kelpie’s tour and get inside one of the Kelpies!
- Enjoy the sites and sounds of nature as you ride along the River Carron and through Abbotshaugh Woods where you will find the impressive Love and Kisses artwork.
- Your journey will take you near historic industrial sites that helped place Falkirk at the heart of Scotland’s industrial revolution – including the old Carron Works, once home of the largest iron works in Europe.
- On your way to the Falkirk Wheel, you will pass the restored Rosebank Distillery. Soon you will be able to enjoy this world-class attraction with the whisky well known to whisky connoisseurs as ‘The King of the Lowlands’. Keep an eye on their website for the opening of the distillery.
- Arrive to The Falkirk Wheel. Check out the Visitor centre and experience the Wheel by boat ride. Let the kids enjoy the fantastic play park and water play park.
- Ride along the Union Canal to Callendar House and Park, where you can visit a new beginners mountain bike track and the historic Callendar House. Experience the architecture, rich history and contemporary art gallery within the house.
With plenty of opportunities to pause and enjoy spectacular wildlife and history, the route runs mostly on traffic-free paths and tracks. There are one or two short on-road sections and 4 road crossings.
For other ideas for Cycling in the Falkirk area check out our Family Cycling video.