- Start your journey by taking a visit to Dunmore Park House – which was used in series 1 as a hospital in World War 2 –we would recommend that you only take a picture of the exterior as the building is a ruin and it is quite rough underfoot. To get here you will need to park the Dunmore Pineapple which is one of Scotland’s most unique buildings as it is shaped like a pineapple.
- Then head to Falkirk and stop by the Kelpies – you can’t come to Falkirk and not see the world famous Kelpies. After wandering around the grounds and visiting the largest equine sculptures, pop in to the visitor centre and pick up a souvenirs or a snack from the café.
- Make your way to Callendar House, which will take roughly ten minutes by car, and explore the 14th century house situated in the midst of Callendar Park. The authentic Georgian working kitchen features in season 2 of Outlander as part of the home of the Duke of Sandringham, Bellhurst Manor.
- After a busy morning it’s now time for a spot of lunch. Callendar House tearoom has an offering of Scottish produce as well as daily made scones, cakes and traybakes plus hot and cold drinks. Callendar House also offers Afternoon Tea which is proving to be extremely popular and can be enjoyed with or without fizz – booking is essential to guarantee a table. Pre-book here
- Gray Buchannan Park in Polmont is next on the itinerary, roughly a 20 minutes’ drive. Part of season 4 was filmed at Gray Buchannan which saw a graveyard created within the park. Locals were out in the street as late as midnight trying to catch a glimpse of their favourite character whilst filming took place.
- Lastly, pop by the Falkirk Wheel to see the world’s only rotating boatlift. There is also an onsite visitor centre, café and gift shop to pick up some souvenirs as a memento of your trip to Falkirk.
This exciting adventure following the steps of Jamie and Claire may take you more than a day, so why not staying overnight within the area? There is a wide range and unique places to stay.
Due to COVID 19 not all locations may be open – check with the attractions before you travel and Visit Falkirk again in the near future and tick the remaining ones off your list when it’s safe to do so.
- Visit Blackness Castle and take in the castle’s stunning location before exploring the grounds and entering the 15th-century castle commonly known as ‘the ship that never sailed’ due to its ship like shape. Blackness Castle appeared in season 1 and 2 of Outlander and provided the setting to the Fort William headquarters of Black Jack Randall as well as featuring in the heart-wrenching scene of Jamie’s incarceration.
- Next, drive to Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway (roughly only 15 minutes away by car) where you’ll be able to stand on the very spot filming took place in 2013. Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway was transformed in season 1 of Outlander to a war-time London train station which saw Claire and Frank say their goodbyes. Afterwards, why not go next door to Scotland’s largest railway museum and enjoy the fun interactive displays which explain the history of the railway – trust us when we say you’re guaranteed to have a ball.
- Before you head off to do anymore exploring, stop by the station café for a spot of lunch (if this is pre-booked it can be served whilst on train – please check the timetables to check if the trains are running, this will be announced at the end of the year).
- Next, drive to Linlithgow Palace (again only a 15 minute drive) and explore the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots which was transformed in Season 1 of Outlander to Wentworth Prison where Jamie was imprisoned.
- Finally finish your journey through time at Muiravonside Country Park, the acres of woodland and parkland became the backdrop to the Battle of Prestonpans in season 2, and doubled as a British encampment as well as the English countryside.
Discover this fantastic audio guide to discover the sites that were used in the filming.
And check out VisitScotland’s interactive Outlander map which provides a full list of filming locations from each season to help you embark on your Outlander adventure!